Thursday, July 22, 2010

jamaican kebabs


Jamaican Kebabs

Kebabs are always fun! I recently bought a dozen nice metal skewers and I actually have used them quite a bit. I think if you use wooded skewers for grilling, you should soak them in water before putting them on the flames. You don't want your entire meal up in flames! It's hard enough to deal with the metal skewers! I used long tongs to turn my kebabs on the grill.

I recently read that you can soak wooden skewers in apple juice before using which will impart more flavor to your kebab - that might be interesting to try.

Here's the recipe for the glaze, which I adapted from an old Cuisine At Home magazine:
1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic ( I always squeeze my garlic through a garlic press)
lime peel (I used 1 entire lime)
1/2 t dried oregano (original recipe calls for fresh, which I never have....)
1 T onion powder
1 T brown sugar
1/2 t allspice
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t cayenne pepper

It turns into a sweet and spicy, thick glaze which you brush on while grilling. I think next time I will double the recipe so there is more to use.....

As you can see, each skewer has cubes of boneless, skinless chicken breast, kielbasa- cut it on the diagonal for extra exposure to the flame. I think any type of kielbasa or polish sausage would be fine. I know there are now even turkey sausages and kielbasas. Of course the kebabs need lots of veggies too. I have used shrimp before, which is very good, but a bit tricky because of the shorter grilling time needed......

Can you imagine that at one point I was going to make 200 of these for my son's graduation open house? I was looking for something 'different' to serve! Instead of kebabs, I ended up serving brats, which was so much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!