Monday, July 5, 2010

lime cilantro cole slaw


Lime Cilantro Cole Slaw

I love all things with the fresh flavors of lime and cilantro! Doesn't matter if the meal is Mexican or Asian--I love that flavor combo. That's why I had to try this cole slaw from Tyler Florence. I found the recipe in the Food Network magazine. I only tweaked it a bit. It's not your ordinary grocery-store-deli cole slaw, that's for sure.


The dressing consists of the the following:
1/4 C sour cream
2T mayo (Tyler uses more..... I'm not a big mayo girl...)
1 T sugar
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime (Tyler uses only one squeeze, but I'm a big lime girl, so I used more..... )

Salad is made from savoy cabbage ( just half a small head. I think regular cabbage would not be as good - so look for the savoy type.)
Sliced green onions. I like the way they look when you slice them lenghtwise- kinda curly and very pretty in the salad.
Cilantro - maybe 1/4 bunch......
I dusted mine with fresh cracked pepper before serving.


Be careful not to over do the cilantro! It's a strong flavor and can quickly over power the entire dish. In the above picture you can see that I added quite a bit of cilantro, maybe even too much.

I know this dressing sounds very unusual, but it was really fresh, clean and healthy tasting!
I served this with my couscous chick pea salad. Nice combo of flavors.

1 comment:

  1. My friend just suggested adding a seeded jalapeno pepper to this salad... that sounds good....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!