Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bavarian “Everyone Loves These” Meatballs



If you read my last post you know I love collecting (well, have an addiction to) canned pumpkin. In that post I also ‘fessed up to owning my fair share of canned cranberry sauce, canned mandarin oranges and peanut butter….. Someone in the comments admitted to hoarding ketchup, which I must admit I also do… BUT… and this is BIG!  ONLY IN THE SUMMER! HA!

I hosted a party last night for co-workers and served these meatballs WHICH CALL FOR TWO CANS OF CRANBERRY SAUCE! Yes, I know! The pantry gods were smiling.

I doubled the sauce and tripled the amount of meatballs. This is the perfect amount for a full crock pot.

12 ounces chili sauce
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
27 ounces sauerkraut, undrained (more or less is fine also)
½ C brown sugar
16 ounces meatballs

Mix the sauce. Pour over meatballs and gently stir. Pour into crock pot and cook all day on low.

Truly, everyone loves these. The sauerkraut kinda melts away so even if you ‘don’t like’ it (what’s wrong with you?), you will never know it’s in there. The first time I made these was for a huge church party. I was in charge of 300 servings of meatballs. I made a roaster full of these, plus a roaster full of a spicy Mexican meatball and also a roaster full of an Asian meatball….. everyone loved these. They always do.

Now, off to eat some mandarin oranges. 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds very tasty - and I love mandarin oranges too :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how secret ingredients like sauerkraut go undetected in great dishes. I'm not a sauerkraut fan but I do take your word for it that they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some at the party, they were delecious. I'm not a fan of saurkraut but I still loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate! Just this week I was looking in my pantry and saw a can of cranberry sauce and a can of mandarin oranges and thought to myself I should make an effort to use those up soon. But there's something kind of comforting about having some canned goods like that stashed away in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These meatball sound like they would be full of flavor. I would have never thought of pairing cranberry sauce with sauerkraut, very interesting. I usually have a pantry full of different kinds of beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Words of Deliciousness - if you have a variety of beans you should make baked beans! I have a recipe here on my blog that is fantastic and calls for lots of types of beans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a different combination of flavors... I bet they meatballs are a bit sweet & tart. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!