Thursday, February 27, 2014

Easy Cheesy Chicken Casserole


Let’s revisit the classics, shall we? I’m talkin’ super simple and full-on comfort. Check out those ingredients, but DO NOT be put-off by their simplicity! This baby never fails, plus it freezes like a dream. (in full disclosure, I have posted this recipe years ago here on this blog, but classics deserve a second look.) 



I served this at my recent Valentine’s Day dinner party and no one seemed to mind that the food  on their plate was creamy and cheesy and from the classic 9 X 13 casserole. I made another smaller casserole semi-veg by swapping out the chicken for sautéed mushrooms. It was heavenly!  

Speaking of classics, here are some killer love quotes I scattered about my house and dinner table as decorations at the party.

"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."  (spoken by Mr. Darcy in “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen)

 “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”  (Spoken by Catherine [or maybe Heathcliff??] in “Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

“To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the folds of life.” (Spoken by Jean Valjean  in “Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo)
For my entire Valentine’s Day menu, click here.

This is a horrible photo. You can't even see the green peppers in there! That's the best part of this casserole! Please disregard and use your imagination. 

Here’s what you need:
12 ounces wide noodles, cooked
8 ounces cream cheese (vegan is fine)
1 ½ C cottage cheese – large curd
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 Cup whole milk (non-dairy is fine)
½ - 1 thinly sliced green pepper
½ - 1 thinly sliced sweet onion
Some fresh parsley
4 C cubed or shredded chicken breast meat (or equal amounts of roasted or sautéed portabello mushrooms)


Mix it all together and bake. You could put the cheeses in a Cuisinart to get them totally creamy, or just use a wooden spoon and elbow grease. Maybe add some black pepper. Buttered bread crumbs on the top if you are feeling up to it. I’m telling you, classics are good. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the ides of swapping out mushrooms for the chicken here. What a brilliant idea. I'm fine with chicken, but absolutely love mushrooms. I'm trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of our favorite dishes! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!