Thursday, January 22, 2015

Burgundy Mushrooms (a 9 hour recipe)



More mushrooms. I know! I know! Sorry. But these are very special. "The best mushroom experience of your life," according to the Food Network Magazine, December, 2014. My photo is exceptionally bad…. So embarrassed. Be sure to serve these babies with lots of crusty bread to soak up the buttery burgundy sauce. Heavenly as it, or with pasta, pizza, salad, any kind of rice. Literally, they melted in my mouth. I couldn't get enough, which was a problem because I took them to a party and you know what that's like....you *should* be tasting everyone else's food, but you only *want* to eat yours. Been there? This recipe made way too many – next time I will cut it in half for a more manageable amount. 


4 pounds white button mushrooms
2 sticks butter (I used Earth Balance. Next time I will reduce this amount)
4 cubes chicken bouillon
4 cubes beef bouillon 
( I used 2 cubes vegetable bouillon - it was plenty. Be careful not to add too much sodium)
1 t dill seeds (I used dried dill)
5 cloves garlic
1 liter burgundy wine or other dry red wine
1 1/2 t Worcestershire sauce

Put everything in a large Dutch oven. Pour 2 C boiling water over all. Stir. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and simmer for 6 (yes, six) hours. Remove lid, simmer for another 3 (yes, three) hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!