Monday, June 22, 2015

Potato Torte





"Love your family. Spend time, be kind and serve one another. Make no room for regrets.
 tomorrow is not promised and today is short."





My dad just celebrated his 80th birthday! What a great life he has had and what a great father he is! To make this special day even better, my sister and brother and I all drove up north to surprise him. No spouses, no kids, just us. It's been a long time since the 5 of have been alone together. Life gets so busy, it's rare that we even see one another much at all!



How my mom kept this all a surprise from my dad, I'll never know. She's the type to make all the meals ahead of time, change all the bedding, plan outings and picnics. But she pulled it off.

Meals were great, of course. I brought some Field Roast brand hamburgers and everyone loved them. I also brought portabella mushrooms. Everything else was lovingly prepared for a vegetarian to eat. Thanks Mom!



This potato torte is loosely  based on one my mom made that weekend. She based hers on two different recipes, and I jotted down the method and veganized it and I must say.... it was pretty dang good!

I served this heavenly potato creation with a Rioja Sauce - also inspired by my mom :)

(I just saw that "Pure Vegan" by Joseph Shuldiner has a gorgeous potato torte which I will most definitely try! )

Here's what you need:
Yukon potatoes
Onions
about 1/4 C Sour cream
2-3 Ener-G eggs
1/4 C melted butter
herbs to taste (I used thyme and oregano)
grated cheese ( I used a hard mozzarella type vegan cheese)


Here's what you do:
Boil the potatoes until fork tender - don't overdo it, like I did...
Sautee some onions
shred the cheese
make the Ener-G eggs and set aside to thicken
Mix the sour cream, the melted butter and the 'eggs' and set aside


Slice the potatoes and layer in a greased springform pan. Sprinkle some onions and cheese over the potatoes and continue layering in this fashion. Pour sour cream sauce over all and allow to drizzle down between the potatoes. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes. Uncover and brown the top. Allow to cool before unfastening the springform pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!