Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Millet, Tempeh, and Mushroom Patties





Gosh, we've eaten some awesome food this summer. From a spectacular striped bass on Martha's Vineyard to a Beet Reuben in Pentwater, Michigan, our meals have been remarkable. The bass was caught that morning by the chef who prepared it. How could I turn that down? The restaurant was nothing spectacular from the street (Square Rigger, I believe it was called, in Edgartown), and the decor was average, but the food was superb. If you ever get an opportunity to visit Martha's Vineyard be absolutely sure to visit the Polly Hill Arboretum. Even if you don't love trees and gardens, you'll be impressed by the beauty and tranquility of this place.

Beet Reuben was not on my radar to eat, but I decided to give it a try. It tasted exactly like what you are imaging.... sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, swiss cheese and roasted beets. All on a grilled marbled rye. Amazing. And beautiful I might add. Our waitress had never tried it (I got the impression that she was afraid of so many veggies), but she said everyone loved it. Me too.

This millet patty recipe came from a magazine that is on display at the local health food store. I have gotten some of my favorite recipes from that tiny publication!



Here's the magazine photo - you can see why I decided to make it! I love gorgeous food. Look at that tiny slice of shiitake mushroom nestled in the patty.

Mine didn't quite turn out that pretty and you can't even see the mushroom I tried to showcase in my patties!

I thought these were delicious! I served them with a spicy mayo and a heap of mushrooms and veggies from my garden. They were a bit too mushy for my husband's taste. They definitely did not firm up. Even now, I notice the recipe refers to these as 'tender.' That's correct!



Millet, Tempeh, and Mushroom Patties (deliciousliving.com March 2013)
1/2 C uncooked millet, rinsed
1/2 sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 C)
1 1/2 C veg broth
1 T sesame oil
1/2 C sliced shiitake mushrooms
4 oz tempeh, crumbled into small bits
1 small bunch green onions, white and some green parts
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T soy sauce
2 T mirin

1. Cook the millet, sweet potato and veg broth for about 25 minutes. Covered. Simmer. Mash with potato masher to combine well and distribute the sweet potato.

2. Saute the mushrooms, tempeh, garlic, and onion in sesame oil until brown and delicious.  Deglaze the pan with the soy and mirin.

3. Combine everything and when cool enough, form 'patties.' They will be very soft. Don't bother decorating the patty with a pretty mushroom!


4. Sautee in veg oil till brown. Serve with chipotle mayo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!